Thursday, February 26, 2009

Hamburger Stroganoff

When it’s for only me, I don’t usually get the urge to cook. However, I had promised the family I would make some of my g-ma’s Liptauer cheese (recipe to come next time I make it. I’ve been eyeballing everything, per g-ma’s instructions, so I need to make it again in order to get correct measurements). Somehow I got the craving for hamburger stroganoff - a childhood fave. Only when I made it along-side the Liptauer did I realize why: they have a lot of the same flavoring elements. So, without further ado, here’s the recipe, along with my first attempt at food photography.

Note: I’m also including vegetarian/vegan alternatives. Have made those, they’re delish.

Hamburger Stroganoff
(Originally from “My Great Recipes”)
Serves 4

Ingredients:

  • 1 lb. lean ground beef (v. option - substitute Boca or Morningstar Farms veggie crumbles)
  • 2 Tbsp. butter or margarine
  • 1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1/2 lb. fresh mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 Tbsp. all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup beef broth (v. option - substitute vegetable broth)
  • 2 tsp. paprika
  • Dash cayenne pepper
  • 1 cup sour cream (v. option - substitute soy cream)
  • 4 sliced green onions for garnish
  • Cooked noodles
Preparation:
  1. In a large heavy frying pan, saute the beef in the butter along with the garlic, onions, mushrooms until beef has lost its pinkness and vegetables are tender. V. option - saute the onion, garlic and mushrooms in the butter first. When tender, add veggie crumbles (they only need to brought up to temp as they’re fully cooked).
  2. Add the all purpose flour. Mix until blended.
  3. Add the beef or vegetable broth, salt, paprika and cayenne pepper.
  4. Stir and cook until thickened. Blend in sour cream. Keep warm but do not boil.
  5. Turn cooked noodles into shallow casserole. Top with green onions. Serve immediately.

Bon appetite!


1 comments:

Shaye said...

I love you! We had those recipe cards when I was a kid, and this was one of the first recipes I learned how to cook. My family is actually vegetarian now, and Morningstar Farms Grillers Crumbles are on sale this week. I started craving this stroganoff, but the cards are long gone. Thank you so much for posting it!